Tuesday, June 26, 2012

On to the Next

Honestly, I have no idea why I haven't read more of HP Lovecraft's work. The man is brilliant. I love him and hate him at the same time. He has such a way with the English language that is so beautifully poetic and gruesome at the same time.

  • "He dropped the electric torch from a hand drained of muscular power or nervous coordination, nor heeded the sound of crunching teeth which told of its fate at the bottom of the pit. He screamed and screamed and screamed in a voice whose falsetto panic no acquaintance of his would ever have recognized; and though he could not rise to his feet he crawled and rolled desperately away from the damp pavement where dozens of Tartarean wells poured forth their exhausted whining and yelping to answer his own insane cries." - "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward"

At the same time, many of his stories go as such: "Blah, blah, blah, it was so awful and horrible, I can't even begin to describe it..." -.- Needless to say, Yog-Blogsoth became my visual guide.

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on reading more Lovecraft in the future.

In the meantime, though...

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Oh, hell yeah! H. H. Holmes! Historical novel about America's "first" (read: see the Harpe Brothers) serial killer?? I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment